Get up and get active

Growing up staying active and exercising was ingrained in who I was. I was always on some form of a team being pushed to be the best I could be. When I first came to college, I thought it would be easy to keep working at the same level. I was very wrong. In high school your day-to-day life is scheduled out so perfectly. There are no distractions because your parents are in charge of you and for the first two years you can’t even drive.

College is the exact opposite. You are entirely in charge of yourself and you create the schedule. You want to leave your 11 a.m. class and sleep until 3 in the afternoon? You can do that because nothing is stopping you. Finding the motivation is hard, but if you figure out easy ways you can succeed you will. I am here to share my top three tips on staying active in college.

Join an intramural team

This is my favorite tip because I love my intramural team. I play intramural volleyball with my sorority and we have a blast. We play between two or three games a week and it only lasts an hour. Volleyball keeps me active throughout the week and gives me a chance to socialize while I do it.

Take advantage of the school

Organizations on campus offer workout classes that you can attend with your friends each week for free. HealthWise on ONU’s campus offers yoga and zumba every Thursday. I got a group of friends together for yoga every Thursday and it has become a ritual for us. It is fun to do with friends and it gets you out there on campus.

Find a workout you love

Having a workout you love makes it much easier to get into the gym. I have friends who go and walk 5 miles three times a week for exercise. I don’t like to walk as much so I go for runs. It all depends on what will get you up and excited to get out even if it is just 30 minutes of activity that is still moving and being active.

Hopefully these tips help you figure out a way to be more active during your college years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck at home for spring break

Learning to feed the content monster

When will he jump the fence?